Saturday, September 13, 2014

Oak Hills Stake Center - A Happy Day!


Sorry guys, I've been a bit busy, and haven't been able to post much this week. School just started, and that always makes for a fun time!

This is a great organ. I really, really enjoyed this day. This is the 9-Rank Schantz organ in the LDS Oak Hills Stake Center. It's just across the street from the Provo temple, and the building has a small bell tower attached to it, so it's unmistakable. I had visited this chapel once previously, a few years ago, for a friend's missionary farewell meeting. Then, I found out that the local AGO (American Guild of Organists) chapter has an event scheduled here, so I figured I should probably go check out the organ. 

Here's a shot of the console. This was the first Schantz I ever played, and I have played only one other since, but I absolutely love their consoles! They are very ergonomic, and it's always easy to reach everything and to get the bench right where you want it. Schantz organs are extremely comfortable to play. The keys also have wooden cores, giving them some heft and body. It makes the organ feel a lot better made, and more substantial. I wish more care was taken with consoles in general, because such a small thing can make a big difference.



You couldn't really see it there, but some of the pedals have had the finish worn off of them by frequently being played in street shoes. Please don't do this. It may be comfortable for you, but it makes it harder for every organist after you for years to come. And getting the Church Facilities Maintenance team to get the organ pedals refinished is pretty low on the priority list.

Here you can see the organ in the room a little better. I love that there's a window right above the organ! It's so cool! You really don't see that very often. I've only played one other organ that has a window among the pipes like this (pictures coming soon!).


All of the pipes are voiced beautifully. The tone colors are outstanding, and everything is very well put together. I am very impressed with Schantz' build quality. If I were petitioning for an organ in my local chapel, I would probably petition for a Schantz, because they are so nice. 

Another interesting thing about these is the action. I'm not exactly sure what kind of action they use (I know it's not a tracker action) but for a certain period after you power the organ off, you can continue to play the pipes on any stops you have engaged for a few seconds before a valve closes and prohibits further playing. That's strange for an organ that isn't a tracker, and it's pretty cool.

This photo was taken standing at the back of the console.


The entire organ fits in the same horizontal footprint. The swell box is just behind the facade, and I believe the blowers are just below these. It's a small organ, but has some beautiful stops. Unfortunately, one of the notes in the pedal was out when I played this on June 11th, but I'm sure they've taken care of it by now.


Above and below you get a view of the window at nighttime.


And I can't forget the selfie!


This is one of the organs I most want to revisit, since it was so much fun to play! Of course, this was an excellent day for me as an organist, as I got to put my organ shoe back on my right foot for the first time in two weeks, and it was a wonderful thing! It's like a soccer player recovering from an ankle injury, or a runner getting back on his feet after his broken leg healed. I really couldn't play the organ fully without the full use of both my feet, but I recovered, and learned some great spiritual lessons in the process. I am grateful for the experiences, and that I am now back to 100%.

Thanks guys, more to come soon!

Organ Specifications:
Built By: Schantz Organ Company
Opus Number (if indicated):
Year: 1992
Manuals: 2
Ranks: 9
Location: 925 North Temple Drive Provo, UT

Oak Hills Stake - Stoplist

No comments:

Post a Comment