Saturday, October 18, 2014

Two Favorites - A Building and an Organ

This was a couple of months ago, but I just got some information I wanted for this post tonight at an AGO event, so I'm posting today.

These photos were taken in early July 2014.

The first chapel I went to on this particular day was the Provo 1st Ward Chapel, one of the most beautiful chapels I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.

More photos of the building and information about the architects are available at the following link: LDS Architecture - Provo 1st Ward

Here are some quick pictures of the organ, taken by me:

Starting with the selfie:


Here's a closer shot of the organ. I know it's a Wicks and was rescued by a Provo bishop from an identical chapel in Arizona that was being demolished, but other than that, all I can tell you is what it's like to play.


The organ sounds pretty good, and it's in a great acoustic space, but there are a couple things to note: 1. There is no combination action (memory levels) in the console. 
2. There are probably only about 8-9 ranks in this organ. It's not very big, and it's not very loud.
3. The blower seems to be getting old. I pulled all the stops and played a C major chord, and I noticed that the pitch dropped momentarily, as if the organ were running out of breath.

Here's a cool shot taken from the back of the chapel just under the balcony (yes, a balcony in an LDS church. I know, right?) This is the favorite building. I love this place, and I would go back again just to see it. My school had a Christmas concert here when I was in elementary school, and I remembered how beautiful this building is from that day. 


The coolest thing about this evening was the experience I had playing this organ. As I played my interpretation of Diane Bish's arrangement of "God of our Fathers, Whose Almighty Hand," an older couple and their friend walked in and sat on the back row of the pews. The gentleman came forward as I finished, and introduced himself as an attorney for the Church visiting from Canada. He, his wife and a friend had come to visit this beautiful building. With tears in his eyes, he recounted a story of when he was on his mission, I believe, and they were brought into a Catholic mass. He distinctly remembers them playing the aforementioned hymn, with a choir, organ and trumpeters from the choir loft in the rear of the church. He remembers being deeply touched by the experience and asked me to play the hymn again before he left, which I gladly did. I can see why this reminded him of his experience in the mass, since the arrangement I was playing emphasizes the trumpets on the organ quite a bit. As they left, he said "Thank you for playing that for us. You just made our day!" It's always nice when your music touches someone like that. 

And in case that amazing experience wasn't enough, I thought I would go find an organ that my friend Becca had told me about previously. She had given me the address, but I found no record of this church's organ anywhere else, so I went, not knowing what I would find.

What I found was this:



I walked in and I thought, WOW! And the sound was equally a wow! This organ has a drawknob console and a LOT of stops for a 2-manual organ. And it's powerful. And looks beautiful. I wondered about the origin of this organ for a long time, as there is no builders' mark on it anywhere to be found. I attended an AGO event this evening and spoke to local organ builder David Chamberlin, who said he has tuned this organ several times. He referred to it as the Provo Park Ward, and told me that it is a Wicks, but had been partially remodeled with the help of the late Dr. Douglas Bush and Mike Ohman (not sure the spelling is correct). He told me it has 9 ranks, and was built originally in the 50s or 60s, with Bush and Ohman making their modifications to it in the 1980s. 


This is one of my top 3 pipe organs I have ever played, since it has some great voice, and a relatively large number of stops and voices for a chapel organ. This organ is also less unified than others. Unification is when one rank of pipes is used for several different stops. This one still has some unification, but there are, for instance, different sets of pipes for the principal in the Pedal and in the Great, which gives it a more powerful sound and makes it easier to distinguish when stops are being played in different divisions.

Here's a view from the console:


Needless to say, I had a lot of fun that evening. I went to one of my favorite buildings, and discovered one of my favorite organs. What organist could ask for anything more?

That's all for tonight, guys, but more will be coming soon, I'm taking a little day trip here in the next few days, and I have planned to make some "organ stops" (pun intended) along the way.

Take care, everyone!

Organ Specifications:

1. LDS Provo 1st Ward Chapel:
Built By: Wicks Organ Company
Opus Number (if indicated):
Year: Unknown, Building Built 1928, Organ added later
Manuals: 2
Ranks: Probably 8 or 9
Location: 195 S 100 E Provo, UT

2. LDS Provo Park 1st Ward Building:
Built By: Wicks Organ Company, modified by Doug Bush and Mike Ohman
Opus Number (if indicated):
Year: 1950s or early 60s (original), Building built 1946, organ modified by Bush and Ohman mid-1980s
Manuals: 2
Ranks: Around 9
Location: 101 W 800 N Provo, UT

Provo Park 1st Ward - Stoplist

No comments:

Post a Comment